Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Silent Night, Holy Night

Christmas Eve: 2007

I was at Mass tonight, midnight mass, at 10:30. Funny how we Catholics have to ask the question "what time is Midnight mass?" Well, this year, it was not at midnight.

The homily was about Joe ..... the Austrian priest who composed the song Silent Night.

As Fr. Dan read the homily, I opened the hymnal to Silent Night #522. My mind was wandering as it so often does these days, yes, even during homilies. My mind kind of just put together a play on words. Silent Knight, Holy Knight. No reason really, except, perhaps, it was God bringing good from my mental wanderings. This inspired me to start this blog. I looked back at the mental picture of the first line transformed by alternative spelling. I thought to myself

"Silent Knight, I do tend to pretty silent." I'm especially silent when at home with my family, when praying and when in awkward or uncomfortably new situations. Moving on I thought

"Holy Knight, I do want to be holy."

And lastly, the thought of adventure, victory, honor, bravery and every other adjective that can be attached to chivalry and knightliness came to mind. These are all attractive qualities. I often feel like I am fighting, battling against great odds. When I'm not, I feel like I should be.

So, I am the silent knight, and the (not yet but working on it by the grace of God) holy knight. My thoughts have entered the realm of web 2.0 and it is the first time my personal thoughts have been captured by cyber-space or, really any space.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Greetings on the Feast of the Holy Name of Jesus!

I saw that your blog was recently added to St. Blog's Parish Directory. I wanted to welcome you!

Christ guide you in this project!