Thursday, January 31, 2008

Getting Crunk

I have to say that alcohol is an enigma to me some times. Biologically speaking, it is toxic for our bodies. Scripturally speaking, Jesus turned water into wine. That was supposed to be a good thing.

There is sort of a dualism within Christian/Catholic circles. Some are more on the, hmm, what's the word, maybe conservative...well, I'll stick with that... Some are more on the conservative side and say 'no alcohol at all.'

There are others, on the opposite end of the spectrum that say God created alcohol and it is very good. Some are boarder line alcoholics and even attribute this to their Catholic heritage.

I think this is again one of those situations where we can apply the moral maxim of 'Virtue is in the Middle'.

I've been thinking about this more because I have been drinking more. No, I don't think I'm drowning my sorrows. But, I have spent more on alcohol in the last 6 months than I have the rest of my life. This is making me worry a little.

Good stewardship says that I should spend my money wisely. This is a fine line for me because I tend to be overly scrupulous in the realm of thriftiness. That's one issue.

The other issue is just putting myself in danger for alcoholism. There has been some family history in that area. I don't think I'm near that point yet, but I want to be careful. Sometimes I feel like it's taking over a little.

The question is whether or not it really is or if I'm just being scrupulous.

(What I'm talking about here is not actually getting 'crunk' but drinking in a moderate manner)

No comments: