Friday, January 4, 2008

Getting It Done

It is often so difficult to get things done. There are too many distractions around to allow for concentration. I often find myself looking back on a block of several hours having accomplished nothing while feeling like I 'worked' basically the whole time. In reality, I just thought about trying to start working and got distracted over and over again.

I think the remedy, or at least part of it, is to lead a more balanced life.

"Virtue is in he middle." I believe St. Thomas Aquinas said something along those lines. I quote that line a lot and apply it to many situations to which it may not accurately apply. This may be one of those situations.

The remedy is keeping each aspect of my life balanced, that is, in the middle. This way there is room for everything that is necessary and good AND nothing dominates disproportionately. When that domination happens, eventually an overload occurs and those blocks of several hours, as mentioned above, begin to disappear for no good reason.

Instead of toiling/worrying away almost aimlessly in an ineffective way, I could have prayed, exercised and had a one on one conversation in the time that I wasted and I would be much better off.

I know this, but, as it is with many things, that knowledge is usually is not enough to break me out of the bad habit. I've become somewhat of a workaholic where I used to be a professional slacker.

Work is good, but not that good. If anyone has suggestions on how to improve the balance in my life please feel free to comment.

No comments: